This one dish meal is great for a cold night. The comforting flavors of an Italian country kitchen dance across the palate. Kids will love the bright colors of the different vegetables, and there are many little steps in the recipe that they can help with. If you’re nervous about kids with knives, don’t be. A good, sharp knife in the hands of a responsible child is not a problem. If yours are a bit more rambunctious (like mine), there are special knives on the market that allow kids to help with vegetable and fruit preparation, but don’t run the risk of injury.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 2-4 servings (yes, a standard chicken breast is bigger than 1 serving!)
2 chicken breasts
1 small zucchini
1 bell pepper
2 Roma tomatoes
½ red onion
3 tbsp. fresh basil
4 tbsp. marinara sauce
1) Coat chicken breasts in 2 tbsp. marinara sauce (1 spoon each).
2) Refrigerate chicken for 30-45 minutes.
3) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
4) Cut zucchini, bell pepper, tomatoes, and red onion into bite size chunks.
5) Mince fresh basil and mix with 2 tbsp. marinara sauce.
6) Toss vegetables with marinara and basil mixture until evenly coated.
7) Place vegetables on silicone baking mat in an even layer.
8) Rest chicken breasts atop vegetables.
9) Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
10) Serve immediately.